A B2B food business with new technology fighting some old baggage. They wondered, “How do we break through the bias of traditional fat ingredients and tell the story of our revolutionary new technology?”
Following a targeting and positioning miss, the company needed to identify its “right-to-win” audience along with a more compelling brand story to build a richer pipeline and set a strategy for conversion.
With our sights set on probing barriers and key drivers to purchase, the HM team recommended two paths to insight-gathering from stakeholders: a unique online focus group and robust online survey.
Insights and outcomes:
• Study uncovered a fat alternative bias among companies within in the space – which led to a more relevant new positioning
• Study uncovered a higher, more altruistic driver for decision makers and key opinion leaders that aligned with the founders’ emotional ‘why’
• Study identified the best target companies with aligned missions
• Study drove a significant shift in the sales approach
• Study led to a nuanced brand messaging platform built around specific categories and corresponding key issues
• The study provided clear direction for qualifying prospects for enhanced targeting and improved conversion
The insights extracted from this research helped redefine the company’s position in the crowded food ingredient space. It also sharpened communication and led to greater customer action and activation via a highly engaging Account-Based Marketing strategy and robust content marketing plan. Within 8 months of implementation, the plan dramatically reduced new customer CPL and doubled the number of MQLs in the sales pipeline.